On 7th February, following a demonstration against the privatisation of 235 jobs at their university, Sussex students occupied the Bramber conference centre on their campus. They are demanding:
1. A complete halting of the ongoing bidding process and end to the entire privatization program, effective immediately.
2. A commission of students, staff and lecturers to be formed. With full remit to re-evaluate procedures and channels for holding management accountable as well as reviewing and extending student and workers’ say in these decisions.
3. An end to the intimidation that senior and middle management have used to deter students and workers for airing and acting on their concerns.
Please consider signing the statement of solidarity to show your support
- Next protest called for TUESDAY 12th Feb, 1pm @ Library Square (University of Sussex) – facebook event
- Letter to staff at the university
- Full statement from the occupiers
- (from the facebook group) Students from Essex University, Birmingham University, and the University of Bristol have written individual statements of solidarity with the occupiers
- UniTV report (including footage from beginning of the occupation)
- Local Newspaper, The Argus
- The Guardian
- The Independent: 1 2
- The BBC
information on past campaigns at Sussex can be found here